This post and recipe for Tikka Masala Mac ‘n’ Cheese is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® & La Moderna but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #MyExceptionalPasta #GoldenHarvest http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
If you haven’t figured out from my blog name, we love to eat around here. More specifically, we love trying new restaurants and ethnic foods- and living in Houston is a great place to do just that! My cousin Rachel and I went to a place a few weeks ago that serves only mac’n’cheese- about 30 different varieties! I tried the Tikka Masala Mac’n’Cheese and literally that’s all I wanted to eat for the next few weeks!
I decided to try to recreate it at home for Ben and me for an at-home date. Since we began fostering about a month ago, date times are harder to come by but we still crave alone time- and delicious food!
When I was at Wal-Mart last week, I picked up La Moderna pasta. I’d never tried this brand before and I am a new fan! The pasta was a great texture when I cooked it- it didn’t get mushy at all. I also love that it’s a high-protein pasta. I’m always looking for ways to add more protein into my diet. Besides the Tikka Masala Mac’n’Cheese, I also made chicken noodle soup and a different kind of mac’n’cheese this week with La Moderna pasta and we inhaled them all!
I added popcorn chicken to my version, but you can leave it out if you prefer. If you’d like to add it, just cook 1 cup of the frozen variety according to the package directions then add it just prior to adding the cheese on top of the mac’n’cheese before cooking.
Tikka Masala Mac ‘n’ Cheese is the perfect comfort food for foodies! This Indian-inspired dish is spicy, creamy, cheesy and deliciously crave-able. You might end up having some sauce left- if so, serve it over grilled chicken.
We had the perfect lunch date on our deck. The recipe hit the spot and the company was even better!
- 1 cup whole-fat yogurt (not Greek)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. Garam masala seasoning
- 1.5 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¾ tsp. coriander
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups dry La Moderna pasta
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, torn into chunks
- fresh cilantro
- Mix ingredients from yogurt down to coriander. Refrigerate overnight if you have time.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Be sure to salt your boiling water before you add the pasta!
- Meanwhile, melt onion in a small sauce pan and allow to begin to brown.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add tomato paste and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add salt half and half and remove from heat.
- Stir well.
- Add yogurt mixture to tomato mixture and blend well.
- After you drain pasta, mix 1.5 cups sauce mixture with the pasta and ½ of the mozzarella. Place in a small oven proof dish. (About 6x6 inches)
- Reserve remaining sauce for another use.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Cook until cheese on tops is bubbly and begins to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Watch closely after 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro, or if you're like me, smother it with fresh cilantro!
- *Add cooked popcorn chicken on top right before baking if you'd like.
Like this recipe? I’d love for you to pin the image below!
Join the newsletter
Join me to get freebies, delicious recipes, coupons and good deals, blog updates, and more! I promise I won’t spam- two times a week, max!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.